Assistant/Associate Professor – Optical Communication and Photonic Systems
For each one of the areas described above, the fast pace of developments and the exponential growth in bandwidth demand, requires continuous research effort into supporting future solutions. As we continue to grow as a research group, we are mostly in search of new talent to strengthen the group. If your area of expertise lies outside the above-mentioned topics, but you feel you can contribute to the research in electro-optical communications, you are invited to send a letter of interest.
This vacancy is part of the Irène Curie Fellowship and is currently only open for female candidates.
**Electro-Optical Cmmunications (ECO) Group ** Over the past 40 years, the electro-optical communications (ECO) group in the Faculty of Electrical Engineering at TU/e is a globally recognised, leading scientific and applied research group focused on exploiting light for communication systems. With deep connections to industry and academia, the ECO group offers new members an opportunity to become the next leaders in optical communications research. The core competence of the ECO staff members is in making the link between different technologies and scientific requirements which are demanded by industry.
We apply the knowledge in collaboration with other scientists at TU/e and more recently within the newly formed Eindhoven Hendrik Casimir Institute (EHCI) to develop the required solution for many of the relevant challenges in communications. The group expertise spans from the fundamentals and physics of photonics, optics, the design and fabrication of photonic integrated circuits (PICs) systems to exploiting optical linear/non-linear signal processing to unlock fiber capacity and relevant higher layer protocols required to operate modern optical communication networks.
Based in the purposely built FLUX building at the TU/e Campus, the ECO group has access to 300m2 of labs for conducting experimental research and is supported by a state-of-the-art 800m2 cleanroom. With 11 tenured scientists and as many as 70 PhDs, postDocs and senior researchers, the ECO group is a vibrant and exciting research group perfectly suited for talented and ambitious scientists. The group is active in spin outs and starts-ups (e.g. Micro-align, PhotonX Networks and LuXisens Technology) and carries out bilateral industrial research with major stakeholders in the communications industry.Are you fascinated by exponential growth of bandwidth demand and wonder how it can be sustained?
The ECO group is expanding and is soliciting submission of letters of interest from a broad range of experts and scholars in communications and optical communications and photonics.
More specifically we are interested in possible expertise in one or more of the areas mentioned below:Free-space or optical wireless communication: devices and systems Data center optical networks and devices (switches and transceivers) Ultra high-capacity optical fiber transmission Quantum optics, communications and networking Advanced uses of photonic circuits and systems (programmable photonics, Terahertz systems, quantum photonics) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZKw4BZC5LI Machine learning and Neuromorphic Photonics
- PhD in Electrical Engineering or Applied physics, or a comparable domain.
- Ability to conduct high quality academic research, demonstrated for instance by a relevant PhD thesis and/or publication(s).
- Ability to teach, shown by experience or assistance in teaching and positive evaluations of these teaching efforts.
- Ability to initiate and sustain collaboration (often multidisciplinary) with national and international researchers.
- Interest and ability to valorise academic knowledge for/with industrial/commercial partners.
- Good communication and leadership skills.
- Excellent proficiency (written and oral) in English.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
- A meaningful job in a dynamic and ambitious university with the autonomy to develop your own research line and participate in the curriculum of the department.
- For candidates in early carrier phase a trajectory of five years as an assistant professor is offered. For more senior candidates a tailor-made career proposal will be considered. After a maximum of four years the tenure decision will be made..
- As an Irène Curie Fellow, you are entitled to a substantial start-up package to kick-off your career.
- You will have free access to high-quality training programs for academic leadership, the university teaching qualification program, research and valorization competences, and a dedicated mentoring program to help you get to know the university and the Dutch (research) environment.
- Salary and benefits are in accordance with the Collective Labor Agreement for Dutch Universities.
- Additionally, an annual holiday allowance of 8% of the yearly salary, plus a year-end allowance of 8.3% of the annual salary;
- A broad package of fringe benefits, including an excellent technical infrastructure, moving expenses, and savings schemes.
- Family-friendly initiatives are in place, such as the Dual Career Opportunity program to support accompanying partners, an international spouse program, and excellent on-campus children day care and sports facilities.
We do not respond to applications that are sent to us in a different way.
Please keep in mind you can upload only 5 documents up to 2 MB each. If necessary, please combine files.
We look forward to your application and will screen it as soon as we have received it. Screening will continue until the position has been filled.More information Do you recognize yourself in this profile and would you like to know more? Please contact dr. O. Raz, Chair of the ECO group at o.raz[at]tue.nl or +31 40 247 3521
For information about terms of employment, click here or contact L. van den Boomen, HR Advisor, l.j.c.v.boomen[at]tue.nl or +31 40 247 5725.
Are you inspired to know more about working at TU/e? Please visit www.tue.nl/jobs
**Application ** We invite you to submit a complete application by using the 'apply now'-button on this page. The application should include a:Cover letter in which you describe your motivation and qualifications for the position. Curriculum vitae, including a list of your publications and the contact information of three references. List of five self-selected 'best publications'. Description of your scientific interests and plans (1-2 pages). Statement of your teaching goals and experience (1-2 pages).